SVHEAT™GE is designed for the calculation of conductive and convective heat movement in frozen or unfrozen soils. It has the ability to handle building foundations, pipelines, or thermosyphons and the input of detailed climate weather station data to calculate the influence of atmospheric conditions. The impact of climatic conditions can be determined through an advanced snow boundary condition.
The SVOFFICE™5/GE release of SVHEAT™ software contains the following specific improvements...
- 64-bit Application
- NEW High-Performance Graphics Engine: the new 3D CAD graphics engine provides measurably faster overall operation, with the biggest performance increases in the areas of...
- creation and manipulation of larger more complex models
- quicker rotation and translation of objects
- high quality / print-ready client visuals
- improved CAD editing controls and responsiveness.
- N-factor of energy-based methods of handling the climatic interface including snow, and rigorous coupling with water-flow and air-flow packages
- Plot frozen/thawed depth versus time of temperature profiles
- Typical example parameters to describe the performance of thermosyphons
- Initial conditions of 2D/3D can be imported from a 1D analysis
- Improved Charting: High quality, exportable charts.
- NEW SVDESIGNER™ Conceptual Modeling Software Package: This brand new software program is tightly integrated with SVOFFICE™5/GE and allows for the representation and manipulation of complex 3D geometry and takes 3D modeling to a whole new level.
- Re-organized Menu: the menu system within the software has been reorganized to be more clear. Primary functions are organized in a left to right format along the menu.
- New SVOFFICE™5/GE Manager: the Manager dialog has been redesigned to greatly simplify its usage. Models can easily be grouped by project and stored anywhere on the user’s disk drive.
Easy Implementation of Advanced Climate Boundary Conditions
|The SVHEAT™GE software package continues to be a market-leading thermal analysis package which offers both 2D and 3D analysis. It is applicable to geotechnical, civil, and mining-related engineering projects.
The product can be coupled with SVFLUX™GE and/or SVAIR™GE to model complex situations.
SVHEAT™GE is designed for the calculation of conductive and convective heat movement in saturated or unsaturated soils. The software implements the ability to handle thermosyphons and the input of detailed climate weather stations data to calculate the influence of atmospheric conditions. Advanced boundary conditions allow the accommodation of the thermally insulating effects of snow. Geothermal gradients and the movement of freezing fronts are easily calculated and visualized. SVHEAT™GE allows you to analyze steady-state or transient thermal conduction and convection models. Convection models may be created by coupling with SVFLUX™GE. User defined soil properties define the latent heat released or absorbed during the ice-water phase change.
SVHEAT™GE is currently being used by universities and consultants around the world. Feel free to contact us for more information.
Key features and enhancements of SVHEAT™:
- 64-Bit Application:
- Create, open, edit and solve larger models of higher complexity faster and more efficiently than previously possible.
- More robust handling of highly variable geologic models improve model convergence runtimes.
- Enhanced dynamic performance for snappier 3D visualization and model interaction.
- Overall speed improvements help you to focus on model development and calibration.
- Improvements in parallel processing with support for up to 64 processor cores.
- Harness the full capabilities of modern 64-bit hardware and 64-bit operating systems.
- Re-organized menu and clearer user interface
- Re-designed SVOFFICE™ Manager
- Fully-integrated 1D / 2D / 3D geotechnical suite:1D, 2D, Plan, Axisymmetric and 3D solutions handle any type of modeling problem
- Fully-automatic mesh generation and mesh refinement
- Model both conductive and convective heat flux, in frozen or unfrozen conditions
- Snow - modeling of the insulating effects of snow is possible with advanced boundary conditions
- Climatic interface: SVFLUX™ / SVHEAT™ allows entry of detailed climatic data to calculate surface temperatures
- N-factors to calculate ground surface temperature is triggered based on an input air temperature
- Plot frozen/thawed depth versus time of temperature profiles
- Implemented the Imperial parameters to determined performance of thermosyphon
- Initial conditions of 2D/3D can be imported from a 1D .dat file
- Full coupling with SVFLUX™ and SVAIR™
- Simple and powerful user interface allows rapid creation of effective models
- Easily generate 3D models from 2D cross-sections, or slice 3D models into 2D cross-sections
- Continuous innovation - Quick addition of features for our customers. New versions are generated every two - four weeks!
- Extensive QAQC program
- Responsive technical support
The following list is a collection of the most common applications for SVHEAT™. Most of them are included as sample models in our free software download.
- Model the depth of freezing during winter months
- Model the application of thermosyphons to freeze the ground
- Ground freezing for soil stabilization, including the use of freezing pipes around mine shafts or thermosyphons on top of earth dams
- Simulate the process in borehole thermal energy storage systems (BTES), which includes simulating the heat injection into the boreholes, the heat that can be stored and then extracted from the BTES, and the potential thermal losses in the ground
- Model heat flow in underground foundations
- Freeze-thaw action beneath airport runways
- Model geothermal reservoirs: locating re-injection wells, production forecasting, volume calculation, heat resource estimation
- Perform general geothermal modeling of canals
- Model mine stopes and other underground mine structures by coupling SVHEAT™GE with SVFLUX™. Calculate the ice/water interface and track frozen zones in the subsurface
- Perform climatic analysis of earth covers by coupling SVHEAT™GE with SVFLUX™
- Degradation of permafrost beneath warm buildings or around a warm, buried pipeline
- Frost depth penetration beneath chilled structures such as a recreational ice surface or a highway during winter
- Model the thermal regime around ponds, roadways
- Development of a frost bulb around a chilled pipeline
- Effectiveness of various insulation alternatives for reducing freezing and / or thawing
With every new piece of software there is always a learning curve. While I was learning to use SVHEAT™, SoilVision was there every step of the way to help me through hurdles I encountered. When I needed a change or an improvement in the software, the development team responded promptly to my requests and made changes with impressive speed. SoilVision's SVHEAT™GE has proved itself be an invaluable tool for designing structures in arctic conditions and permafrost soils. Predicting the results of a changed thermal regime allows us to design stable long term structures for our clients. SVHeat's excellent graphical and 3-dimensional output encourages an intuitive understanding of the dynamics involved. I would recommend the SVHEAT™GE software and SoilVision's support to anyone.”
I do think this type of modeling should be more routinely done and until now there has not been an easy way of doing this. Beyond a few hiccups in setting up the model (mostly lack of CAD software experience on my part) and then the subsequent setting up and understanding of physical properties and units (small learning curve) the model ran and calculated quickly with good visual results. I would have no reservations in recommending SVHEAT™GE heat modeling to better understand heat flow into borehole heat exchangers in a residential geothermal installation. This understanding can be applicable to borehole spacing and depth of drilling for any particular ground and aquifers that intersect the boreholes.”
My study required the input of large data including surface temperatures ranging from 350°C to -300°C. The flexibility and versatility in SVHEAT™GE allowed me to run thermal simulations with sudden changes in boundary conditions using non-linear material properties.”
Modelling can be time consuming but SVHEAT™GE improved our efficiency by allowing us to use AutoCAD™ drawings and automatic mesh generation while managing the input data through a database.”
The investment in geotechnical / hydrogeological software is an important decision for most consulting firms. Software must perform well and yield results in a limited timeframe such that reports can be completed on time and under budget. We recognize this at SoilVision Systems Ltd. and and have worked hard over the past number of years to provide software which is both easy to use and technologically advanced. We believe that the current SVOFFICE™5/GE software product is the best software suite currently available for geotechnical and hydrogeological applications. Listed below are a few of the reasons why your firm would benefit from our software from the perspective of a manager.
1. 3D Modeling Solutions
2. Advanced Slope Stability Analysis
- Modeling of systems which are not adequately represented by a simplified 2D cross section may be accomplished in full 3D. Examples include regional flow, levee analysis, and planar geometry.
3. Advanced Model Coupling
- With the highly advanced SVSLOPE® slope stability analysis package, your company will have access to the most comprehensive array of deterministic and probabilistic methods of limit equilibrium and stress-based analysis methods.
4. 3D Conceptual Geometry Modeling and Visualization and 2D Slicing with SVDESIGNER™
- Coupling of the air/water/thermal phases allows more comprehensive analysis of i) cover designs and, ii) waste rock flow, and iii) various other applications.
- Coupled density-dependant flow allows handling of salt-water/ fresh water potash mine tailings scenarios and tidal inflow scenarios.
5. Automatic Mesh Generation and Refinement
6. Spatially Varying Material Properties
- SVDESIGNER™ Allows for rapid three-dimensional geotechnical prototyping of designs.
- 2D slices can be quickly and easily extracted from your geotechnical designs and brought into SVFLUX™GE for analysis.
7. Product Integration
- Material properties may now be set to vary spatially in any particular region of the model domain. This is available in our SVSLOPE® and SVFLUX™GE packages
8. Comprehensive Probabilistic Analysis
- Products support highly integrated and coupled solutions. i.e. Rainfall on an unsaturated slope potentially causing instability.
9. Extensive Soil Database
- Monte Carlo, APEM, Latin Hypercube and other types of probabilistic analysis may be carried out in our SVSLOPE® package. Monte Carlo analysis for steady state models can be carried out in our SVFLUX™GE package.
10. World Class Support
- Our SVSOILS™ (formerly SOILVISION®) Database of unsaturated hydraulic properties includes laboratory data on over 6500 soils and 24 theoretical methods of estimating unsaturated hydraulic properties.
- Highly dedicated team with tracking and fast response to all raised issues - typically within 24 - 48 hours.