The following list is a collection of the most common applications for SVHeat™. Most of them are included as sample models in our free software download.
- Model the depth of freezing during winter months
- Model the application of thermosyphons to freeze the ground
- Ground freezing for soil stabilization, including the use of freezing pipes around mine shafts or thermosyphons on top of earth dams.
- Simulate the process in borehole thermal energy storage systems (BTES), which includes simulating the heat injection into the boreholes, the heat that can be stored and then extracted from the BTES, and the potential thermal losses in the ground
- Model heat flow in underground foundations
- Freeze-thaw action beneath airport runways.
- Model geothermal reservoirs: locating re-injection wells, production forecasting, volume calculation, heat resource estimation
- Perform general geothermal modeling of canals
- Model mine stopes and other underground mine structures by coupling SVHeat with SVFlux™. Calculate the ice/water interface and track frozen zones in the subsurface
- Perform climatic analysis of earth covers by coupling SVHeat with SVFlux™
- Degradation of permafrost beneath warm buildings or around a warm, buried pipeline.
- Frost depth penetration beneath chilled structures such as a recreational ice surface or a highway during winter.
- Model the thermal regime around ponds, roadways
- Development of a frost bulb around a chilled pipeline.
- Effectiveness of various insulation alternatives for reducing freezing and / or thawing.