SVOFFICE™5/WR Water Resources Suite has been developed for hydrogeologists and is centered on the integration of the powerful FEHM finite element solution engine developed by Los Alamos National Labs (LANL). The completion of phase one has resulted in the release of SVFLUX™WR which utilizes the front-end/back-end user-friendly interfaces of SVOFFICE™5 to build complex 3D regional numerical models. The SVFLUX™ module is integrated with the SVDESIGNER™, SVSOILS™, and SVSLOPE® modules in the SVOFFICE™5/WR suite. This powerful combination allows hydrogeologists to create complex numerical models and have the calculated pore-water pressures subsequently imported and utilized by geotechnical engineers in a slope stability analysis.
The FEHM solver has been developed extensively by LANL over the past 30 years and represents over 50 man-years of effort. The solver allows stable solution of large highly non-linear unsaturated groundwater models and has been utilized on many government and international projects including analysis of EPA superfund sites.
The collaborative program between SoilVision and LANL links the robust and comprehensive FEHM control volume finite element solver with the easy to use SVOFFICE™ user interface to create a comprehensive numerical modeling package with extensive capabilities in the areas of regional groundwater modeling. The research and development program couples the existing SVOFFICE™ modules with their existing easy to use CAD interface and modular model design to serve as a package capable of greatly speeding model design using the FEHM solver. Models can be created in a matter of hours and then analyzed with the comprehensive FEHM capabilities. The SVOFFICE™ front end allows generation of triangular (2D) or tetrahedral (3D) meshes in full 3D space - multiple nodes per layer and pinch-outs can be modeled. The ACUMESH™ back end visualization provides extensive and state of the art visualization capabilities to the FEHM solver. Extremely large scale models of over a million nodes can be visualized and the results visualized in a simple manner or animated in the ACUMESH™ visualization engine. The purpose of the collaboration is to bring efficiency and speed to the model creation process for a hydrogeological control volume finite element solver proven as one of the most capable in the world.
The use of the FEHM solver developed by Las Alamos National Labs (LANL) provides the following advantages to numerical modeling solutions:
- Stable solutions of non-linear unsaturated models with high numbers of nodes
- Ability to utilize supercomputers for high-demand solutions
- Comprehensive modeling of drawdown and recharge for pumping well networks
- Ability to solve regional models with extremely thin lateral layers
The new software package brings an extensive array of new features to the release and makes them easily accessible to end users such that the models can created in solved in a consulting time frame. The following features specifically are able to be analyzed with the FEHM solver:
- 3-dimensional complex geometries with unstructured grids
- Saturated and unsaturated media
- Fully implicit, fully coupled Newton Raphson solution of non-linear equations
- Control volume (CV) and finite element method (FE) methods
Very large 3D numerical models have often been avoided due to the complexities related to solving 3D models with many nodes. The FEHM solver brings its exceptional design based in high end computing platforms to the forefront and allows stable solutions with very complicated 3D numerical models. Therefore, FEHM allows for robust and comprehensive 3D solutions with extreme numbers of nodes to be solved with optimum efficiency.
To learn more, click here for resources
- FEHM Solver: Harnesses the stability of the world-class FEHM solver developed by Los Alamos National Labs.
- Large Regional Models: Efficiently create and analyze large regional numerical groundwater flow models with millions of nodes.
- Nonlinear Analysis: Stable analysis of nonlinear unsaturated models.
- Handle Complex Geometry with Ease: Model complex geometry including pinch-outs with automatic mesh generation.
- 3D Modeling Solutions: Modeling of systems which are not adequately represented by a simplified 2D cross section may be accomplished in full 3D. Examples include regional flow, levee analysis, and open pits.
SVDESIGNER™Conceptual Modeling Module: This brand new software program is tightly integrated within SVOFFICE™5/WR and allows for the representation and manipulation of complex 3D geometry and takes 3D modeling to a whole new level.
- Automatic Mesh Generation and Manual Refinement: Automatic mesh generation and refinement greatly enhances model stability, accuracy, and convergence. The process makes use of triangular or tetrahedral meshes.
- Advanced Orientation Analysis: Models can now be built fully in 3D and a slip in any arbitrary sliding direction can be analyzed. This ability is exclusive to the
SVSLOPE®3Dmodule and is not offered by any other competing product.
SVSOILS™: (Formerly SoilVision®) A database of unsaturated hydraulic, thermal and stress soil properties has been completely rewritten and redesigned.
- Easy to Use:Featuring a familiar user interface with easy to understand functions and redsigned icons. The menu system has been redesigned to simplify the number of choices to the user, greatly reducing the complexity of the software interface and providing a better user experience.
- NEW High-Performance Graphics Engine:the new 3D CAD graphics engine provides measurably faster overall operation, with the biggest performance increases in the areas of...
- creation and manipulation of larger more complex models
- quicker rotation and translation of objects
- faster transformations
- high quality / print-ready client visuals
- improved CAD editing controls and responsiveness.
- NEW SVOFFICE™5 Manager:A complete overhaul of the SVOFFICE™5 Manager provides a more intuitive experience. We have simplified the process of creating, managing and sharing your models and projects. With one click you can easily switch the Manager between
mode. Learning mode presents the user with the bare essentials and user guidance to get you up and running fast. Expert mode expands the user interface and places all of the key project management components at your fingertips.
- World Class Support: Highly dedicated team with tracking and fast response to all raised issues - typically within 24 - 48 hours.
- QAQC: Comprehensive testing and verification program.
Time-tested and Industry Proven
The FEHM solver was utilized on the famous Yucca Mountain nuclear storage project to model the regional groundwater flow to ascertain the ability of the site to accept nuclear waste.
The numerical background of the FEHM computer code can be traced to the early 1970s when it was used to simulate geothermal and hot dry rock reservoirs. The primary use over a number of years was to assist in the understanding of flow fields and mass transport in the saturated and unsaturated zones below the potential Yucca Mountain repository. Today FEHM is used to simulate groundwater and contaminant flow and transport in deep and shallow, fractured and un-fractured porous media throughout the US DOE complex. FEHM has proved to be a valuable asset on a variety of projects of national interest including Environmental Remediation of the Nevada Test Site, the LANL Groundwater Protection Program, geologic CO2 sequestration, Enhanced Geothermal Energy (EGS) programs, Oil and Gas production, Nuclear Waste Isolation, and Arctic Permafrost...
SVOFFICE™5 User Manual
The investment in geotechnical / hydrogeological software is an important decision for most consulting firms. Software must perform well and yield results in a limited timeframe such that reports can be completed on time and under budget. We recognize this at SoilVision Systems Ltd. and and have worked hard over the past number of years to provide software which is both easy to use and technologically advanced. We believe that the current SVOFFICE™5 software product is the best software suite currently available for geotechnical and hydrogeological applications. Listed below are a few of the reasons why your firm would benefit from our software from the perspective of a manager.
3D Modeling Solutions
- Modeling of systems which are not adequately represented by a simplified 2D cross section may be accomplished in full 3D. Examples include regional flow, levee analysis, and planar geometry.
Advanced Slope Stability Analysis
- With the highly advanced
SVSLOPE® slope stability analysis package, your company will have access to the most comprehensive array of deterministic and probabilistic methods of limit equilibrium and stress-based analysis methods.
Advanced Model Coupling
- Coupling of the air/water/thermal phases allows more comprehensive analysis of i) cover designs and, ii) waste rock flow, and iii) various other applications.
- Coupled density-dependant flow allows handling of salt-water/ fresh water potash mine tailings scenarios and tidal inflow scenarios.
3D Conceptual Geometry Modeling and Visualization and 2D Slicing with SVDESIGNER™
SVDESIGNER™ allows for rapid three-dimensional geotechnical prototyping of designs.
- 2D slices can be quickly and easily extracted from your geotechnical designs and brought into
SVFLUX™GE for analysis.
Automatic Mesh Generation and Refinement
Spatially Varying Material Properties
- Material properties may now be set to vary spatially in any particular region of the model domain. This is available in our
- Products support highly integrated and coupled solutions. i.e. Rainfall on an unsaturated slope potentially causing instability.
Comprehensive Probabilistic Analysis
- Monte Carlo, APEM, Latin Hypercube and other types of probabilistic analysis may be carried out in our
SVSLOPE® package. Monte Carlo analysis for steady state models can be carried out in our
Extensive Soil Database
SVSOILS™ (formerly SOILVISION®) Database of unsaturated hydraulic properties includes laboratory data on over 6500 soils and 24 theoretical methods of estimating unsaturated hydraulic properties.
World Class Support
- Highly dedicated team with tracking and fast response to all raised issues - typically within 24 - 48 hours.